A non-comprehensive list of awesome turfgrass things other people did in 2017
I’m taking this idea from Jeff Leek at the Simply Statistics blog. He’s been putting together a list of awesome things other people did each year. He makes the list off the top of his head. My memory is not that good, so I’ve referred to some notes in addition to the top of my head. I’m sure I’ve missed lots of awesome things. If you’d like to add them, please do so in the comments.
- The Greenkeeper app by Bill Kreuser keeps getting better.
- Kreuser also wrote about PGR over-regulation on putting green collars and about the nuance of GDD calculations.
- Beth Guertal was voted president-elect of the Crop Science Society of America.
- Sue Crawford shared one of the best photos of roots out the bottom of the plug.
- Kasey Kauff put the Underdogs of Turf calendar together with the support of Rain Bird Golf. You can get a copy of the calendar here.
- Joe Gulotti started a blog, The Walking Greenkeeper. You won’t find anything like it. The first post, as an introduction, was titled “I was a total sellout”. And he spoke at the Penn State Golf Turf Conference.
- Jason Haines wrote 23 posts at the Turf Hacker blog. I enjoyed reading all of them.
- the USGA Green section put together a compendium of every article from the previous year.
- Jon Wall went back to Nepal and shared stunning photos of the Himalayan GC.
- Leasha Schwab wrote about women in golf.
- Doug Soldat continued his surprising photos of turf diseases on bentgrass after the snow melts. He also had some amazing tall fescue surrounded by dandelions.
- Aaron Hathaway showed weeds with herbicide, nothing, and N.
- Jonathan Wood shared more amazing photos from St. Andrews.
- PACE Turf made a GP Avatar app, among many other awesome things they did this year.
- The Golf Environment Organization (GEO) continued to provide great resources to the industry, including the brand new On Course site.
- Golf course architect Paul Jansen traveled around South and Southeast Asia to study unconventional and sustainable golf.
MYANMAR: The amazing Popa Taungkalat Monastery. Pictures taken from Holes 2,4 and 8 at the Popa GC. Is there a better backdrop in golf? pic.twitter.com/ZrIXAY1KKm— Paul Jansen (@pauljansengolf) May 3, 2017
- Billy Crow wrote about nematode problems.
- Paul Robertson started a long conversation with a simple question: anyone using the Pelzmeter?
- Peter McCormick wrote more good stuff at TurfNet. I especially liked this one about paths less taken.
- Reinders shared photos and a blog about the U.S. Open at Erin Hills.
- Frank Rossi, Dan Dinelli, and Roch Gaussoin talked about organic matter.
- Dinelli also shared a surprising video of ball bounce on fairway turf.
- Chris Chase’s video of fairway dew removal got a ton of likes.
- So did Andrew McDaniel’s video of sod production in Japan.
- Monroe Miller wrote about USGA Green Section Director Kimberly Erusha.
- Landseer Communications and Consulting got started, to tell stories about golf courses that are waiting to be heard.
- Emily Tritabaugh et al. put together this video of turfgrass at the Ryder Cup.
- Chris Tritabaugh explained three ways they’ve tried to optimize the course. And he wrote about Poa.
- PACE Turf put together this spreadsheet to calculate sand topdressing amounts based on growth potential.
- Paul Jansen showed greenkeeping in Myanmar. You probably haven’t seen turf maintenance like this before.
What did I miss? Please add more awesome things from this year in the comments.
- A non-comprehensive list of awesome turfgrass things other people did in 2021
- A non-comprehensive list of awesome turfgrass things other people did in 2020
- A non-comprehensive list of awesome turfgrass things other people did in 2019
- A non-comprehensive list of awesome turfgrass things other people did in 2018
- Monthly Turfgrass Roundup: November 2018