So many things to learn about in this world
Yesterday I saw that Erwan Le Cocq was interested in reading scientific articles and was welcoming recommendations. I remembered that I had put together this eclectic reference list to include in my Turfgrass Science and Greenkeeping book. Articles and reports I’ve written are available at the ATC Library.
Erwan wrote back that the articles he’d like to read don’t need to be related to greenkeeping, because there is so much to learn about in the world. That got me thinking about some of the articles I’ve enjoyed that are not directly about grass and greenkeeping.
Here are eleven articles, in no particular order, that specifically are not about greenkeeping. The information in them, however, can still be applied to turfgrass management and research. Plus, it is fascinating to learn about these things.
- The Park Grass Experiment 1856–2006: its contribution to ecology by Silvertown et al.
- Abandon statistical significance by McShane et al.
- Daily Light Integral: a research review and high-resolution maps of the United States by Faust & Logan
- Consistency and convenience in the choice of units for agricultural science by J.L. Monteith
- A hypothesis relating critical potassium concentrations for growth to the distribution and functions of this ion in the plant cell by Leigh & Wyn Jones
- Modeling the flush of nitrogen mineralization caused by drying and rewetting soils by M.L. Cabrera
- The contentious nature of soil organic matter by Lehmann & Kleber
- Good enough practices in scientific computing by Wilson et al.
- Data organization in spreadsheets by Broman & Woo
- Ten simple rules for digital data storage by Hart et al.
- Soil testing to predict phosphorus leaching by Maguire & Sims
- Three #rturf projects: green speed & clipvol, zoysia response to fertilizer during grow-in, and report automation
- Hollow-tine cultivation and solid-tine spiking both failed to alleviate summer bentgrass decline
- Have we been doing it all wrong? Soil testing and composite samples
- Turfgrass soil sampling, part 7 of 7
- Turfgrass soil sampling, part 6 of 7